WHAT ARE THE VEGETABLE COVERS IN VINEYARDS?
Vineyard cover crops are an alternative to the use of herbicides that improves the quality of the soil and balances the components of the vine, improving the quality of the wine produced.
In addition, environmental costs and energy costs are reduced and it helps us to face the problems derived from climate change and drought episodes.
Advantages of vegetables covers:
- Protection against erosion and runoff, various studies have proven a reduction in soil loss with covers of between 34 and 82% depending on the species.
- Vegetable covers increase the organic matter content of the soil, which improves its physical properties.
- Improve the structure of the soil by presenting a higher content of organic matter and an increase in microbial activity together with a lower surface crust.
- Natural pest control: greater biological diversity and balance between pests and predators.
- The capacity to sequester atmospheric CO2 is increased.
- Vineyards with greater environmental sustainability: plant covers improve the interactions between agriculture and the environment.
- Greater economic sustainability: environmental costs and energy costs are reduced, as well as less need for green operations, such as pruning or trimming.